Adel M. Alimi
Candidate for 2017-2018 Tunisia section ViceChair (2019-2020 Tunisia section chair):
Name: Adel M. Alimi
Organization: ENIS, University of Sfax, Tunisia
Biography (without IEEE activities): Adel M. Alimi (IEEE Student Member’91, Member’96, Senior Member’00). He graduated in Electrical Engineering in 1990. He obtained a PhD and then an HDR both in Electrical & Computer Engineering in 1995 and 2000 respectively. He is full Professor in Electrical Engineering at the University of Sfax, ENIS, since 2006. He is founder and director of the research REGIM-Lab. on intelligent Machines.
Prof. Alimi volunteered for several academic, research, and scientific structures and associations:
- REGIM Research Laboratory (LR11ES48): Research Groups in Intelligent Machines, founder and chair since January 1997, ENIS, University of Sfax, Tunisia, 60 faculty members & 60 PhD students.
- Tunisian Section of IAPR (Int.Association for Pattern Recognition), founder and chair since 2014.
- Scientific Association for Supporting Research and Technological Innovation: ASARIT, founder and chair since 2006.
- Scientific Association Sustainable Innovation@Tunisia), founder and chair since 2011.
- University Chair of Innovation (UNCHAIN-Sfax) of the University of Sfax, Tunisia, founder and chair (2010-2011).
- MIRLabs: Machine Intelligence Research Labs (Member of the Board of Governors, 2011-Now)
Position Statement: This is my opportunity to influence the future direction of the IEEE in Tunisia. I have experience as an engineer and academic. I have been an active IEEE volunteer leader for over 24 years and bring diverse leadership experience from other professional societies and a career spanning over 20 years.
As chair of several chapters and advisor of several student chapters, I led over 200 IEEE volunteers. I organized several conferences to discriminate knowledge to thousands worldwide.
If elected to the position of Tunisia Section Vice-Chair, I will:
- Establish closer ties with Tunisian industry.
- Enhance IEEE’s Technological Lead at the Tunisian level.
- Foster Innovations in IEEE activities in Tunisia.
- Promote further Globalization of the IEEE in Africa through Tunisia.
- Help to formulate and recommend strategies and policies for IEEE activities in Tunisia.
Major IEEE Accomplishments:
- Coordinator of the National Committee for the creation of the IEEE Tunisia Section (2000-2008)
- Organization of several IEEE technically sponsored conferences in Africa (SoCPaR’2016 & 2014, WiCT’2015, ISDA’2015, SOLI’2015, ROBOCOMP’2015-2011, ICALT’2014-2011, HIS’2013, IAS’2013, ISI’2012, NGNS’2011, ACIDCA-ICMI’2005, SCS’2004, ACIDCA’2000).
- Counselor of the IEEE Student Branch of the National School of Engineers, University of Sfax, Tunisia (2009-2014) & Advisor of the National Engineering School, University of Sfax (Tunisia) Student Branch Chapter of:
- IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society (2010-2014)
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (2010-2014)
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (2010-2014)
- IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society (2009-2014)
- Contribution to increasing the number of papers published in IEEE journals and coming from African researchers (as member of the editorial board of several IEEE journals: IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems).
Past IEEE positions:
- Intelligent Transportation Systems Society (Founder in 2015, Chair 2015-2016)
- Robotics and Automation Society (Chair 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (Chair 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Industry Applications Society (Secretary 2013-2014, Treasurer 2015-2016)
- Education Society (Vice-Chair 2013-2014, Chair 2015-2016)
- Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society (Founder in 2011, Chair 2011-2012, Treasurer 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Computer Society (Chair 2010-2011, Vice-Chair 2013-2014, Chair 2015-2016)
- Computational Intelligence Society (Founder in 2009, Chair 2009-2010, Treasurer 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society (Founder in 2009, Chair 2009-2010, Chair 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Joint Chapter of the Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society / Robotics and Automation Society (Founder in 2009, Chair 2009)
- Adel M. Alimi is the chair of the IEEE R8 Conference Coordination SubCommittee since 2015.
- Prof. Alimi has founded and chaired several academic and research structures:
- REGIM Research Laboratory
- Tunisian Section of IAPR (Int.Association for Pattern Recognition)
- Scientific Association for Supporting Research and Technological Innovation:ASARIT
- Scientific Association Sustainable Innovation@Tunisia)
- University Chair of Innovation (UNCHAIN-Sfax) of the University of Sfax, Tunisia
- Prof. Alimi managed several research and international projects:
- advisor for 60 PhD Thesis
- holder of 20 Tunisian patents
- managed funds for 22 international scientific projects (total budget:1161.1k€,20.6k$CAN,67kTND)
- Co-Chair of several international conferences: SoCPaR’16&14,WiCT’15,ISDA’15,ICDAR’15,INNS-BigData’15,SOLI’15,ICALT’15&’14&’13,ICBR’13,HIS’2013,IAS’13,ISI’12,NGNS’11,LOGISTIQUA’11,ACIDA-ICMI’05,SCS’04,ACIDCA’2000.
- Prof. Alimi served as:
- Expert evaluator for Quality Assurance and Accreditation projects.
- Expert evaluator for several European and International research projects (FP7-ENPI- CMCU-ALECSO).
- Consultant for several Tunisian committees.
- Associate editor and member of the editorial board of several international scientific journals (IEEE Trans.Neural Networks and Learning Systems-IEEE Trans.Fuzzy Systems-Pattern Recognition Letters-NeuroComputing-Neural Processing Letters-Int.J.Image and Graphics-Neural Computing and Applications-Int.J.Robotics and Automation-Int.J.Systems Science-EURASIP J.Advances in Signal Processing-J.Universal Computer Science).
- Guest editor of several special issues of international journals (Fuzzy Sets & Systems-Soft Computing-Journal of Decision Systems-Integrated Computer Aided Engineering-Systems Analysis Modelling and Simulations).
- Prof. Alimi has been awarded with:
- IEEE Outstanding Branch Counselor Award for the IEEE ENIS-Student- Branch(2011)
- The Tunisian Presidency Award for Scientific Research&Technology(2010)
- IEEE Certificate Appreciation for contributions as Chair of the IEEE-Tunisia Computational-Intelligence-Society Chapter(2010&2009)
- IEEE Certificate of Appreciation for contributions as Chair of the IEEE-Tunisia Aerospace and Electronic-Systems- Society Chapter(2009)
- IEEE Certificate of Appreciation for contributions as Chair of the IEEE-Tunisia Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Society Chapter(2009)
- IEEE Outstanding Award for the establishment project of the IEEE-Tunisia Section in 2008
- International Neural Network Society (INNS) Certificate of Recognition for contribution on Neural Networks(2008)
- Tunisian National Order of Merit: at the title of the Education&Science Sector (2006)
- *IEEE Certificate of Appreciation and Recognition of contribution towards establishing IEEE-Tunisia Section(2001&2000).