Candidate for 2017-2018 Tunisia section Secretary:
Name: Messaoud Amairi
E-mail: [email protected]
Organization: ENIG, University of Gabes, Tunisia
Biography (without IEEE activities): Messaoud Amairi (IEEE Graduate Student’10, Member’12, Senior Member’15) is an Doctor Eng. with more than 10 years of experience in higher education and research. He is currently an Assistant Professor at the National Engineering School of Gabes. His responsibilities have included: teaching; promoting students engagement; proposing ideas to enhance employability and improving student’s skills.
Messaoud Amairi is member of the Modelling, Analysis and Control of Systems Laboratory (MACS), University of Gabes. He has many contributions in the field of fractional order differentiation and its applications in identification and robust control. He is also interested by the set-membership approaches and their applications in identification, observation, diagnosis, prognosis and fault tolerant control. He has published over 40 papers in renowned journals and international conferences.
Messaoud Amairi has participated in the organization of many scientific activities (workshop, conferences, spring school, seminars, training). He is an executive board member of the Tunisian Association of Automatic and Digitization. He is also a member of several administrative committees like the Evaluation Committee of National Engineering School of Gabes (2016) and the Committee of Program’s update(2012-2016).
Position Statement: The Secretary can make a great contribution to the Section, and I appreciate the opportunity to run for this office. I believe that, as Tunisian section Secretary, I can serve better the needs and interests of IEEE members in Tunisia.
As a section Secretary:
- I would take actions to continuously hear your ideas to help maximize our Tunisia Section’s value to you and promote the overall image of IEEE.
- I would also encourage more participation in our Section activities, especially students and young professionals.
- I would assist the newsletter editor to distribute timely and well-written newsletters to keep you up to date with news and events.
- I would help other board members in fulfilling their duties wherever needed.
- I will be engaged to follow the 3 priorities of IEEE Region 8: Getting closer to Industry; Giving more values for IEEE Students and Young Professionals members; Ensuring Section Vitality.
I look forward to serving you as your section Secretary!
Major IEEE Accomplishments: As an IEEE Volunteer for many years, I have served several areas of IEEE Activities in Tunisia, delivering achievements with impact.
I organized, in collaboration with other volunteers the first IEEE Tunisian Forum for Industry-Academia Partnership (TFIAP’16) on 02-03 April 2016 in Sousse, Tunisia (tfiap.ieee.tn). The two-day agenda attracted more than 130 researchers, engineers and students from Tunisia, Egypt, Pakistan, Canada and Mexico as well as representatives from different national Medias.
As the secretary of the section, I collaborated on many projects related to Smart Cities, EPICS, TISP and SIGHT, etc. I have also co-organized three successful administrative meetings of the executive committee.
I am the founder of the IEEE ENIG Student Branch in 2013 with only twelve students. Now, the branch has more than 70 members (students and graduate students) and four SB chapters (IAS, RAS, CSS, PES).
As a member of four societies (CSS, IAS, RAS, ES) and also member in the IEEE CSS Technical Committee on System Identification and Adaptive Control (TC SIAC), I helped student members to create three SB chapters which I am the advisor. Many technical activities (workshop, seminar and training) as well as social activities are organized by these SB chapters during the last two years.
Past IEEE positions:
- IEEE CSS System Identification and Adaptive Control Technical Committee (2016)
- IEEE Tunisia Section Secretary (2015-2016)
- IEEE ENIG Student Branch Counselor (since 2013)
- IEEE IAS ENIG SB Chapter Advisor (since 2014)
- IEEE CSS ENIG SB Chapter Advisor (since 2015)
- IEEE RAS ENIG SB Chapter Advisor (since 2015)
- Chair the IEEE Tunisian Forum for Industry-Academia Partnership (2016)
- 2016 Outstanding Section Membership Recruitment Performance
- 2015 Region 8 Outstanding Large Section Award
- 2015 IEEE Volunteer Leadership Training (VOLT) graduate Award
- IEEEXtreme Programming Competition, Certificate of Appreciation (2013-2015)
Qualifications: My current position as IEEE Tunisia Section Secretary has given me an insight into the position and allowed me to learn all the ins and outs.
During the last year,
- I have successfully organized (with the chair) two Executive Committee meetings (October 2015 and April 2016).
- I have also proposed a efficient way to maintain and store non financial Section documents (i.e. History officers, Section meeting minutes).
- I worked closely with other members of the Executive Committee and collaborated with them to ensure effectiveness of Section’s programs and activities.
My involvement with various leadership positions at my job, and as an IEEE volunteer have given me the necessary experience to serve better the needs and interests of IEEE members in Tunisia. As an example, my participation in the IEEE Volunteer Leadership Training (VOLT) program helped me to understand better IEEE and its diversity. It also provided me with confidence, vision and skills to mobilize resources, and become a team player volunteer.
All these experiences and many others have equipped me to contribute to the position of Secretary.